Saturday, March 12, 2016

Zucchini Bread Muffins

The other day I made a delicious Sausage And Veggie Pasta Bake for dinner.  It had zucchini and yellow squash.  But after I was done, I still had one large zucchini and one large yellow squash left over.  I hate letting fruits of veggies go to waste, so I decided to make some zucchini bread.  (I've got a plan for that yellow squash as well, and if its successful I'll blog the recipe!)


But back to zucchini! I LOVE zucchini bread!  And so does my three year old!  Well, in complete honesty, we both love bread of any kind!  And muffins!  And cake!  My five year old also thought it was delicious - until I told her it had zucchini in it.  Then she wouldn't eat it anymore.  I won't make that mistake again!  Haha!

Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 eggs
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.) Mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
3.) In a stand mixer, combine eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla extract.  Blend well. 
4.) Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
5.) Spoon into greased muffin tins (Makes 24-36 muffins).
6.) Bake muffins for 20-30 minutes, or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.


Note: Most muffins freeze really well, so they're a great make-ahead breakfast choice!  I freeze half of the recipe and then just pull a few out the night before I need them.  They're completely thawed by morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment