Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Great Games from Indie Boards and Cards

I recently posted a review of some new games from Indie Boards and Cards.  Well, the fine folks there also sent some of other popular games for my to share with my readers!  I was really impressed with the wide variety of games I received!  So let's check them out!

Second Chance, by Stronghold Games - (Release Date: 2019, Ages: 8+, Players: 1-6)





Second Chance is a flip and write game.  These are similar to roll and write games.  But instead of rolling dice and filling out a paper, you flip a card and fill one out.  My family really enjoyed this one!  And as a Tetris player during my childhood, I loved it too!




What I loved:
1.) It plays up to 6 players! - I've mentioned it many times, but I LOVE a game that can accommodate all 5 of the people in my immediate family!
2.) It can be played solo! - Sometimes I'm the only one who wants to play a game. (*Sad.*) This is a great solo option!
3.) It gets you thinking! - You have to really think and plan to get all those shapes on your page. And you have to be able to flip the shapes in your mind sometimes to make them work.  I love that this game makes everyone think!
4.) It's "artistic." - Everyone enjoyed drawing and filling in their blocks in their own unique style. I chose to just use one color for mine.  The kids all did a rainbow of colors.  My husband used black and lime green.  (His looked like something from Minecraft.  Haha!)  But every single person enjoyed it!
5.) Its family friendly! - I love a game that we can all enjoy together and this one definitely fit that bill!

Conflicting Legends - (Release Date: June 26, 2019, Ages: 14+, Players: 3-6)



This game is literally a historic game of Rock, Paper, Scissors!  Every person plays "persona cards" (famous people in history) and tries to earn "realm cards." The first player to gain 10 stars from their realm cards wins.



What I Love:

1.) The illustrations! - I was IMMEDIATELY attracted to this game because of the amazing illustrations of historical characters, like Napoleon, Frieda Kahlo, Albert Einstein, and Joan of Arc!

2.) Rock Paper Scissors!!! - Seriously!  This is such a stinking fun idea!  You literally play Rock Paper Scissors to resolve conflicts during the game!

3.) Its fairly simple.  - I read the instructions - which weren't long at all - and understood how to play pretty quickly.

4.) The game moves pretty quickly, which I enjoy.  There isn't a ton of down time because everyone just performs one action on their turn.


Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama - (Release Date: October, 2017, Ages: 14+, Players: 1-8)



This is a path building card, where you're trying to connect a certain sanctuary to caterpillars and flowers on your player board.  This seems to be a continuation of their popular Kodama-themed games.  As I mentioned in my previous review, Kodama is a mythical tree "spirit." It's sort of the Japanese version of a dryad.



What I love:

1.) The game is small and fairly simple.  Although this is not a roll and write game, it had that same feel to me.  Not a ton of components, simple, yet fun!

2.) Its a 15 minute game! - I love these!  They're great for evenings when you might not be able to handle a long, super complicated game.

3.) It has a single player option! - I love games that have a single player option for those times when you're alone or can't find a playing partner.

4.) It plays up to 8!  Most games of this type usually play up to 4, 5, or 6.  Most are just up to 4.  So it's great to find a fun game like this that plays up to 8!  That makes it great for family gatherings too!

Kodama Duo - (Release Date: January 9, 2019, Ages: 14+, Players: 2)



Kodama Duo is a two-player game in their popular Kodama series.  Kodama Duo can also be used as an expansion for Kodama that adds an extra player!  That's a super neat feature.



What I Love:

1.) Its a two-player game! - I'm always looking for two-player games that my hubby and I can play after the kids have gone to bed!

2.) It plays in approximately 30 minutes! - This also makes it perfect for playing with hubby after the kids are in bed.

3.)














No comments:

Post a Comment