Monday, May 18, 2015

Bacon-Lovers' Green Beans

Bacon.  Yeh, you heard that right!  BACON!!!  In the green beans!!!  I made these last night and I'm pretty sure my husband reached a new level of consciousness when he tried them.  He said to me, "Why?  Why would you ever make green beans any other way!?!"  Well, OK.  I guess that's approval of my new dish!


Now, I can't take credit for this recipe.  I was actually on BigOven.com searching for a great new green bean recipe when I can across this one.  It had onions, tomatoes, and bacon. (Holla!)   So I had to give it a try!

Bacon-Lovers' Green Beans

Ingredients:
16 oz. frozen green beans
3 strips of bacon, cooked and grease reserved
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes
Salt & Pepper, to taste

1.) Place frozen green beans in a large pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes.  Drain.
2.) Fry onion and garlic in bacon reserved grease until translucent.  Add tomatoes and crumbled bacon and simmer for 2 minutes.
3.) Add green beans to tomato mixture.  Simmer for 1-2 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Note: Don't forget the salt!  Remember, these are frozen green beans and not canned, so they don't have any seasoning.  I tasted these before I added the salt and I wasn't thrilled with the taste.  (I like my green beans with some salt!  - I'm Southern.)

Note 2: If you like "softer" green beans, just let them simmer in the tomato mixture for longer.  My hubby isn't a big fan of "crispy" green beans, so I cooked ours for several minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment