Monday, September 16, 2013

Blogging Through the Alphabet: J is for "Jump for Joy! Its National Play Doh Day!" (Sept. 16, 2013)

OK.  OK.  I know.  I'm stretching things quite a bit to make this my "J" post, but COME ON!  Its National Play-Doh Day!  Whoop!  Whoop!  Did you know the original "Play-Doh" was actually invented as a wallpaper cleaning agent?  Seriously!  We LOVE Play-Doh in this house!  But what I REALLY love is making our own!  Yep!

 
 
Homemade Play-Doh:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vegetable oil
food coloring
1.) In a large pot or frying pan, mix all ingredients. Cook over Medium heat, stirring constantly - just until the dough starts to stick together and form a ball. (It took between 3 and 5 minutes for this stage on my stove.)
2.) Snatch dough from pan and place on wax paper. Let cool slightly. (While my dough cooled, I rinsed out my pan. It rinsed out pretty easily with hot water and the sprayer on my faucet.)
3.) Once cooled slightly, knead for a few minutes to get the dough smooth.
4.) Store in an air-tight container.


Note 1 - I used about 12-15 drops of red food coloring for this batch. It came out sort of a beautiful taffy pink color. You could also divide the ingredients in half and cook in batches. That way you could have more than one color of Play-Doh.


Note 2 - Don't have food coloring on hand? That's OK! Use Koolaid!!! I haven't done this yet, but I've heard that it colors beautifully - and it smells INCREDIBLE!!! This may make your little one desire to put it in their mouth, but then again, all the ingredients are edible so that's not really a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment