Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blogging Through the Alphabet - "A is for Apple Walnut Cake"

Yay!  My first post for the Blogging Through the Alphabet series!  I'm so excited!  I went back and forth for over a week trying to figure out what to blog about.  I was stumped.  Can you believe it?  I'm only on the letter A and I'm already stumped!  This doesn't bode well for me!  But then I remembered this recipe and I knew I had to share it!  
 

I baked this recipe in a bundt pan thinking that it would turn out more like a cake, but it ended up very dense like a flavored bread. At least, that's the way I thought. My husband, on the other hand, said it was more cake-like.  Bread or cake, THIS THING IS DELICIOUS!!!
 
 
First of all, I found this recipe on allrecipes: Pol's Apple Cake, but I changed it a bit - adding a few more ingredients and leaving out the coconut. If you'd like to see the original recipe, you can click on the link above. Here on this page, I'm going to post the version that I made.

Apple Walnut Bread
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups white sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch (less than 1/4 tsp) nutmeg
2 apples - peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan or loaf pan.
2.) Blend eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar until creamy.
3.) In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4.) Add flour mixture, a little at a time. Blend well. Batter will be very thick - almost like cookie dough.
5.) Fold in apples and nuts.
6.) Pour or spread batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 30 minutes in pan, then remove.

*Note - the original recipe (mentioned at the top of this post) also had a topping/frosting made of butter, brown sugar and milk. Since I was making this to use as a breakfast bread, I didn't use the topping. I'm sure its wonderful, but this cake/bread is so good that it doesn't need anything on top! 

Check out all of the "Blogging Through the Alphabet" posts here:



3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'll definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make one very similar using a carrot cake recipe but substituting apple and then poking it when it is done and pouring on a cream cheese glaze

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am going to try this GF!

    ReplyDelete