Monday, June 17, 2013

"Mama, I Wanna 'Hep Oo'..."

If you're the mom of a toddler, you've probably heard these words a million times - "Mama, I wanna 'hep oo'."  I hear it every day - when I'm doing laundry, dusting, vacuuming, or making beds.  When I'm cooking, getting the mail, or clearing the table.  When I'm loading the dishwasher, taking out the trash, or changing the baby. - "Mama, I wanna 'hep oo'." 



It can get frustrating at times. After all, I can get things done ten times faster if I don't have a little shadow following me. - Getting in the way, messing up the neatly folded clothes, stumbling over the vacuum cord.  I could get the mail and take out the trash a lot quicker if I didn't have to wait for little hands to put little shoes on little feet so they can come with me.

But then I remember - I'm not just a maid.  I'm not just a baby-sitter.  I'm not just a cook.  I'm a mom.  And a mom is a teacher - all day, every day.  So yes, my house would be cleaner and my chores would get done quicker if I did them by myself.  But I let little fingers hand me clothes to fold - dropping half of them on the floor.  I let little feet follow behind me while I vacuum - pretending that the plastic golf club is a vacuum too.  And I let little hands help me make the bed - even if it doesn't turn out perfectly smooth the way I want it to.  Why?  Because I'm teaching those little fingers, little feet, and little hands - not just how to clean and straighten up, but how to serve others.  And that's worth the extra time.

"I'm A Little Helper" (Sung to the tune of "I'm A Little Teapot")
Verse 1:
I'm a little helper,
Short and sweet!
Here is my dust cloth and broom to sweep.
When I get all ready, watch me go,
I do my work for Jesus,
Don't you know!
 
Verse 2:
I'm a little helper,
Yes it's true!
Here's an example of what I can do.
I can clean my room or help fold the clothes,
I do my work for Jesus,
Don't you know!

 
(Song Courtesy of kidssundayschool.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment