Sunday, June 9, 2013

Trusting God When The Gorillas Charge

In God have I put my trust:
I will not be afraid... - Psalm 56:11
 
A year ago last month we took our oldest to the zoo for the very first time.  What a fun experience!  I always enjoy experiencing things through my kids' eyes.  Its such a wonderful thing to watch her see animals that she's never seen before, watch her ride on her very first carousel, and see her taste her very first frozen lemonade.  But at this zoo trip, I got to see something else through my toddler's eyes - complete trust. 


I have to admit, I have a serious problem with trusting - especially when it comes to God.  Deep down, I know that God is there and that He is in control, but I often find myself trying to control everything myself.  And if something is out of my control, I panic - money, health, relationships.  Oh how I desire to have the faith of a child.  Children just trust - without condition, without question, without exception.  They just trust.  And that's what I learned on this particular trip to the zoo. 
 
One of our favorite parts of the zoo was the gorilla exhibit.  Why?  Well, partly because it was air conditioned!  Haha!  Visitors could walk into an air conditioned room and walk right up to a glass window to see the gorillas up close and personal.  So that's what we did! We walked right up to the window to get a good look.  There were several gorillas outside - some sitting, some standing, some playing.  Some were close to the window and some were standing farther away on top of a hill.  Wanting our little one to get the best view possible, we went right up to the glass - my husband, my father, my sister, my niece, my daughter, and myself.  And there were lots of other people in the room too.  We were all happily watching these gorillas walk, run, and play.
 
Then, all of a sudden, one of the gorillas at the top of the hill charged down as fast as he could and rammed into the glass wall RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY BABY!  It was terrifying!  Every person in that room jumped back. - Everyone except my toddler and my husband, who had his arm around her.  Even my husband said later that it startled him and he almost grabbed our daughter and ran.  And I can tell you that my heart was RACING.  But my daughter never moved - not one muscle.
 
I was shocked that what happened hadn't scared her.  I couldn't believe that she wasn't crying her eyes out.  And then I realized why.  She wasn't scared because Daddy had his arm around her.  She had no fear because she had complete trust that Daddy would protect her.  In her eyes, that gorilla was no match for Daddy! 
 
And that's the way we should feel about our Heavenly Father.  There's no need for fear.  There's no need for anxiety. God is in control.  He has His arm around us and He wants us to trust Him - even when the gorillas charge.
 



Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

  1. Aaaw, such a cute photo..and your right about trust..what a great analogy for how much our heavenly father loves us and wants us to trust him. Only through a child's eyes!

    ReplyDelete